Kizilkule Ethnograpy Museum In 1226, the Seljuk Sultan Alaaddin Keykubat commissioned the master builder, Ebu Ah Reha al-Kattani, a native of Halep (Aleppo), who had previously rebuilt the Sinop Fortress, to construct what would come to be known as the Kizilkule (Red Tower). The tower’s name derives from the colour of its construction materials: Baked red bricks were used for the upper storeys. The tower has an octagonal plan, where the walls on each edge are 12.5 metres long, and the diameter of the base circle is 29 metres. The height of the building is 33 metres. It has five storeys. Access to the upper floors is through a high riser stone staircase with 85 steps. The tower has a central cistern, and skylights allow sunlight to reach the first floor. The Kizilkule was built to protect the harbour and dockyard from sea-born attacks, a purpose it served for centuries.
The Kizilkule now functions as the Ethnography Museum. The ground floor and first floor of the five-storey tower are refurbished and constitute the museum. The historical building is also used for cultural and artistic activities, such as painting exhibitions or classical music concerts. From the top floor of the tower, the vista of the county and the bay is enchanting.